Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Introduction to Twelve Step Spiritual Life Management



The following is the result of my experience, strength and hope. My experience is that I have a disease – maybe a group of diseases – which renders me powerless – and my life unmanageable -- and which will destroy the very fiber and quality of my existence if I do not – regularly and routinely – practice certain spiritual life principles.

My strength and perception is that this spiritual practice takes different specific forms and frequencies of activity, depending on the current and changing levels of the personal symptoms of my disease(s). I have gone to 90 meetings in ninety days, meditated, and journalled daily for over twenty years. I don’t believe this is necessary for most people – but it was necessary for me -- if I am to feel a reasonable level of serenity and well being.

What I have attempted to do in this workbook is:
1. To put together an organized understanding of the spiritual principles involved in Steps 1, 2, 3, & 10, 11, &12 of AA and Alanon.
2. To present an organized means of developing spiritual life skills using these spiritual principles.
3. To assist in finding a personalized daily lifestyle of spiritual maintenance, by first practicing and then living these specific spiritual principles.

This workbook is only the product and expression of my experience, strength and hope, and is not intended in anyway to imply a standard that all recovering persons should follow to practice spiritual recovery.

It will, I believe, only be as helpful as one’s level of conscious pain, and one’s ability to relate to others’ experience, strength and hope.

Also. I recommend that persons read the chapters on each step in the books Paths to Recovery, and Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, and consider the insight questions that are provided. Also, it has been helpful to me to look in the indexes of books like The Courage to Change, and read the readings relevant to each step. Again, how much one reads and prepares will be personal and unique to each individual’s needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment